Simplify the educational experience, improve efficiency, and reduce medication errors with Pharmacy Technicians University.
RxTOOLKIT eLEARNING™ has partnered with TRC Healthcare (Authors of Pharmacist’s Letter and Pharmacy Technician’s Letter) in advancement of TRC’s Pharmacy Technicians University™ (PTU).
Pharmacy Technicians University is a comprehensive online pharmacy technician training program that includes exam prep for the PTCE® and ExCPT exams. PTU is engaging, self-paced, and interactive!
This online competency-based curriculum provides all of the tools and information needed to prepare candidates for the national certification exam and a career in healthcare.
Most importantly, trained, competent, and reliable techs can drastically reduce overall medication error rates contributing to improved patient safety.
RxTOOLKIT® donates a portion of their proceeds from PTU to the Emily Jerry Foundation, whose mission is to help make our nation’s medical facilities safer for everyone.
Pharmacy Technicians University offers:
- PTU 101 Retail:
- Didactic training program for retail pharmacy or candidates not required to seek national certification by their state laws or regulation.*
- PTU 101:
- Includes the 92.6 hours from PTU 101 plus 34.4 additional hours of specialized training (including sterile product preparation) and prepares candidates to take the national certification exam.*
- PTU Advanced:
- Includes the 127 hours from the PTU Advanced Training Program plus 33 additional required preceptor hours, to be completed with either a self or employer coordinated externship.*
- PTU Elite: CSPT Prep Program:
- Courses cover all relevant topics, including compliance requirements for USP <797> and USP <800>
- Trainees who complete this PTCB recognized program can sit for the CSPT® exam with just 1 year of experience in compounded sterile preparation (versus the standard 3-year requirement)
- The program curriculum includes 27 didactic hours and 32 simulation hours
- PTU 101 Retail:
*Check your PTCB state requirements regarding national certification here.
Program Benefits Include:
- Current course curriculum reflects the latest industry trends.
- Motivating scenario simulations give techs context for active learning and problem solving via “real-life” scenarios that facilitate appropriate information transfer and recall.
- Innovative course design helps technicians learn while developing observational and critical thinking skills.
- Engaging content (including interactive exercises, learning games, and videos) is intermixed with didactic content to accommodate different learning styles.
- Convenient, cost-effective online courses, including real-world scenarios and rich media content
- Materials are updated regularly to keep up with changing regulations
PTU prepares technicians for:
- Provider and hospital settings
- Retail and community settings
- Health and wellness institutions such as long-term care and physical therapy centers
- Passing the national certification exam:
- PTCB National Average Pass Rate: 57%
- PTU Student Average Pass Rate: 77%
How does it work?
Watch this quick overview of the program:
Which Program is Right for Me?
Depending on your individual goals for employment, certification, and/or licensure as a pharmacy technician your course requirements, hours, and documentation will vary widely from state to state.
If certification and/or licensure is your goal, it is critically important that you review the state board requirements for the state in which you plan to practice prior to deciding which course to purchase.
RxTOOLKIT and TRC Healthcare can assist in answering many pre-sale questions you may have, as well as assist in providing documentation at the completion of your chosen program, but neither are responsible for your choice of program or it’s potential for state approval. We recommend you contact the state board for which you plan to practice directly to verify if our program is right for your goals.
Individual State Information/Links:
If your goal is certification and/or licensure in LA, SC, and ND our programs are not recommended due to additional requirements concerning ASHP/ACPE accreditation.
If your goal is certification and/or licensure in CA, DC, FL, IN, MA, MN, WA, or WV we strongly recommend that you work directly with an employer in order to meet these requirements. Without an employer, it may be difficult for you to achieve the documentation and preceptor hours required by these states. Many states require a pre-approval of your chosen program prior to commencement of the program. For more information, please visit the appropriate link for your state:
- CA: https://pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/tch.shtml
- DC: https://dchealth.dc.gov/service/pharmacy-technician-registration-application-package
- FL: https://floridaspharmacy.gov/licensing/registered-pharmacy-technician/
- IN: https://www.in.gov/pla/2898.htm
- MA: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-pharmacy-technician-license
- MN: https://mn.gov/boards/pharmacy/licenseregistration/newtechnician.jsp
- WA: https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/ProfessionsNewReneworUpdate/PharmacyTechnician/ApplicationsandForms
- WV: https://www.wvbop.com/practitioners/pharmtechs/index.asp
Check your PTCB state requirements regarding national certification here.
Looking for more information?
- More information about PTU for INDIVIDUALS here
- More information about PTU for GROUPS here
- More information about PTU Elite CSPT® Prep Program here
- FAQs regarding PTU here
© 2021 TRC and Pharmacy Technicians University are registered trademarks of Therapeutic Research Center. TRC and all associated names and service marks including TRC are restricted and reserved for Therapeutic Research Center use.