Frequently Asked Questions
About Pharmacy Technicians University — General information for those considering the program
Depending on your individual goals for employment, certification, and/or licensure as a pharmacy technician your course requirements, hours, and documentation will vary widely from state to state.
If certification and/or licensure is your goal, it is critically important that you review the state board requirements for the state in which you plan to practice prior to deciding which course to purchase.
RxTOOLKIT and TRC Healthcare can assist in answering many pre-sale questions you may have, as well as assist in providing documentation at the completion of your chosen program, but neither are responsible for your choice of program or it’s potential for state approval. We recommend you contact the state board for which you plan to practice directly to verify if our program is right for your goals.
Individual State Information/Links:
If your goal is certification and/or licensure in LA, SC, and ND our programs are not recommended due to additional requirements concerning ASHP/ACPE accreditation.
If your goal is certification and/or licensure in CA, DC, FL, IN, MA, MN, WA, or WV we strongly recommend that you work directly with an employer in order to meet these requirements. Without an employer, it may be difficult for you to achieve the documentation and preceptor hours required by these states. Many states require a pre-approval of your chosen program prior to commencement of the program. For more information, please visit the appropriate link for your state:
- CA: https://pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/tch.shtml
- DC: https://dchealth.dc.gov/service/pharmacy-technician-registration-application-package
- FL: https://floridaspharmacy.gov/licensing/registered-pharmacy-technician/
- IN: https://www.in.gov/pla/2898.htm
- MA: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-pharmacy-technician-license
- MN: https://mn.gov/boards/pharmacy/licenseregistration/newtechnician.jsp
- WA: https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/ProfessionsNewReneworUpdate/PharmacyTechnician/ApplicationsandForms
- WV: https://www.wvbop.com/practitioners/pharmtechs/index.asp
Check your PTCB state requirements regarding national certification here.
Pharmacy Technicians University Content — Answers regarding the curriculum
When you have completed PTU, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between duties allowed and not allowed of a pharmacy technician
- Practice within the scope of practice of a pharmacy technician
- Translate medical terminology and sig codes
- Calculate drug dosages, concentrations, quantities, and days’ supply
- Prepare prescriptions and medication orders
- Practice billing procedures for medications and supplies
- Demonstrate inventory policies and procedures
- Classify different pharmacologic classes of medications
- Assist the pharmacist in medication therapy management
- Demonstrate medication reconciliation
- Prepare unit-dose orders and products for med carts
- Explain sterile and non-sterile compounding
- Recognize compounding procedures for chemotherapy agents
For Current Enrollees — Answers to “What do I do if…” questions and information on what to expect
Technical Requirements and Information — Hardware - software - internet requirements - etc.
Since your Curriculum Organizer will keep your progress throughout the course, you can switch between a computer, laptop, and mobile device while going through the course, depending on what is most convenient for you at the time. You must also have an internet connection while taking the course. A broadband connection is preferable.