Pharmacy Technicians University PTU Elite: Immunizations for pharmacy technicians is a series of online courses, simulations, and skill assessments, covering the full range of competency. Pharmacy technicians will master skills needed to safely administer vaccines—from preparing patients to successfully completing pharmacy administrative protocols.
- Curriculum includes six hours of self-paced, online study and four hours of supervised skill assessment by a certified pharmacist immunizer.
- Topics covered in this course:
- Orientation: This section introduces the program, explains what to expect, and defines the purpose of training. It emphasizes the important roles pharmacies and pharmacy technicians have with immunizations. Students will learn the platform and gain an overview of the program’s media.
- Overview of Vaccines: Technicians learn how various vaccines work and get trained on general storage and handling requirements. Key terms are defined.
- Patient Indications and Precautions: This section debunks vaccination myths and emphasizes vaccine-preventable diseases, common vaccines, immunization schedules, precautions, and contraindications. Technicians get tips for communicating with patients.
- Vaccine administration: Students review vaccine preparation and administrative processes. This section covers operational tasks, including billing and documentation; a step-by-step description of dispensing and administering intramuscular, subcutaneous and intranasal vaccines; instructions on selecting and gathering supplies; and universal precautions and safety considerations. Students learn adult and pediatric distraction techniques and how to respond to adverse events.
- Simulation Exercises: Students prepare for pharmacy tasks using prompts, rubrics, practice suggestions and other simulated activities that cover communication, gathering supplies, handwashing, administration of various vaccines, and reacting to adverse events. Built-in assessment tools help pharmacist immunizers verify each student’s skill.
- This course is appropriate for individuals aspiring to be employed as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy technicians that wish to further their careers by developing management skills.
- This online course provides students 365 days of access from the date of enrollment.
- IMPORTANT: You must currently be employed as a pharmacy technician and have a certified pharmacist immunizer who is willing to facilitate the supervised skill assessment required to complete this course.
© 2021 TRC and Pharmacy Technicians University are registered trademarks of Therapeutic Research Center. TRC and all associated names and service marks including TRC are restricted and reserved for Therapeutic Research Center use.